Central Lancashire Local Plan Approval to Consult Issues and Options
Decision Maker: Executive Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Councillor Alistair Bradley, Executive Member (Economic Development and Public Service Reform), presented the confidential report of the Deputy Chief Executive which presents the Central Lancashire Local Plan Issues and Options Consultation Paper for approval alongside details of the consultation methods and programme.
1. To approve the Central Lancashire Issues and Options Paper in Appendix One as written, as the first stage in the preparation of the new Central Lancashire Local Plan, in accordance with Regulation 18 of The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
2. To approve for publication and consultation Annex 1 (relevant to Chorley Borough) ‘Site Suggestions Proposed by Chorley Council’.
3. To approve for publication and consultation Annex 2 (relevant to Chorley Borough) ‘Chorley Council Elected Members Comments on Site Suggestions’.
4. To approve for publication and consultation Annex 5 (relevant to Chorley Borough) ‘All Site Submissions Received for Chorley ‘.
5. To approve for publication and consultation Annex 6 (relevant to Chorley Borough) - ‘Proposed Changes to Town, District and Local Centre Boundaries’.
6. To approve Annex 7 (relevant to Chorley Borough) ‘Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment Methodology Statement Iteration 1 - April 2019’.
7. To accept and approve the document as drafted (subject to any misinformation or fundamental errors) recognising that to make any changes at this stage would delay the subsequent approval of the final version as the same version must be approved by all three councils.
8. To approve the proposed methods of consultation including the online portal Citizenspace, and the programme for drop-in events and elected member learning sessions.
9. To approve the key timetable for the consultation commencing on Monday 18th November 2019 at 12.01am and closing at 11.59pm on Friday 14th February 2020.
10.To agree to the commencement of the consultation upon the approval by all three Central Lancashire councils including Preston and South Ribble (subject to any call-in period).
11.To delegate responsibility for agreeing any format and layout changes and minor amends to the Portfolio Holder and Deputy Chief Executive/Director of Early Intervention and Support.
Reasons for Recommendation(s):
1. The preparation of a new Local (Development) Plan is now required across Central Lancashire as the existing Core Strategy adopted in 2012, is more than five years old. This Issues and Options consultation is the first stage towards the preparation of a new Local Plan, which considers the challenges and opportunities arising from the evidence collected to inform the new Local Plan, whilst also taking account of wider national policy objectives, priorities and strategy.
2. This new Local Plan must be prepared in accordance with The Town and County Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 and the first stage is referred to as Regulation 18 under which, we will be preparing the Issues and Options Document, and the next planned consultation which will be the Preferred Options, expected in late 2020/21.
3. There is a strategic rationale for the three councils of Preston, Chorley and South Ribble working collaboratively to produce a single Local Plan, as a single housing market area, and functional economic market area with evidence to support high levels of spatial self - containment.
4. There are efficiencies to be gained by working collectively as plan-making is resource intensive and the MHCLG have provided funding to Central Lancs to work together in plan preparation.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected:
Report author: Zoe Whiteside
Publication date: 21/10/2019
Date of decision: 17/10/2019
Decided at meeting: 17/10/2019 - Executive Cabinet
Effective from: 25/10/2019