Stagecoach Bus Depot Demolition
Decision Maker: Executive Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Councillor Alistair Bradley, the Executive Leader, presented the confidential report of the Director (Commercial Services) which advises the options and benefits of early procurement and direct award of a contractor to complete the demolition of the existing Stagecoach bus depot, including asbestos removal and site remediation
Part funding has been secured through Homes England for the Tatton Recreation Ground project, which is dependent on completion of the assisted living element by March 2022.
Officers have been progressing with a design to RIBA Stage 3, in order to submit a planning application by August 2020 and ensure the programme is maintained.
Whilst, initially, it had been intended that the demolition of the existing Stagecoach Bus Depot, asbestos removal and remediation would be completed by the Principal Contractor as part of the main project award, it has proved necessary to expedite this element of the work. This is to mitigate the time risk associated and also to allow additional site investigation and geotechnical appraisals to be completed to inform the more detailed design in this area of the site
Decision: To approve the delegation of Contract Award to Executive Member (Resources).
Reasons for Recommendation(s):
1. To allow further and more detailed site investigation and geotechnical appraisal in this area of the site, to inform a more robust design and mitigate later cost risk.
2. To mitigate time risk due to the statutory notice periods required for asbestos removal and demolition.
3. To reduce the risk in the ground and the risk profile with the appointment Principal Contractor.
Alternative Options Considered and Rejected:
Allow the demolition to form part of the Principal Contractor award. Rejected because:
· This would prevent the additional site investigation and geotechnical appraisal and development of a more robust design.
· This would prevent the completion of the BREEAM pre-demolition audit and result in loss of BREEAM credits.
· This would put pressure on the programme as the demolition would not commence until 2021, subject to the statutory submissions discussed elsewhere in this report.
Report author: Dan Gosling
Publication date: 31/07/2020
Date of decision: 30/07/2020
Decided at meeting: 30/07/2020 - Executive Cabinet
Effective from: 08/08/2020