Decision Maker: Executive Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Councillor Alistair Bradley, Executive Member for Economic Development and Public Service Reform presented the confidential report of the Director of Customer and Digital on behalf of Councillor Peter Wilson, Executive Member for Resources which outlined the proposals for a five-year replacement program for the Council bus shelter stock, design and procurement route for approval.
Members recognised the importance of these improvement works to maintain the successful use of the borough’s bus routes.
1. To proceed with a five-year program for replacing the council-maintained bus shelter stock, design, and procurement, commencing 2023/24.
2. That the final award of the procurement of bus shelters contract be delegated to the Executive Member for Resources for approval following procurement exercise.
3. That any agreement of a deed of variation to the Clear Channel contract be delegated to the Executive Member for Resources to include provision of eco-friendly living roof bus shelters, subject to commercial agreement.
Reasons for recommendations
The current bus shelter stock is in varied condition but will benefit from replacement within a five-year term.
Other options considered and rejected
1. To retain the existing bus shelter stock and only repair or replace them on an ad hoc basis. This has been rejected as in some cases the cost of repair is significant and will not benefit from economies of scale. The shelters will also continue to deteriorate.
2. To remove the bus shelters and not replace them. This has been rejected as it would leave the public exposed to the elements leading to dissatisfaction and complaints.
Report author: Chris Walmsley
Publication date: 30/03/2023
Date of decision: 30/03/2023
Decided at meeting: 30/03/2023 - Executive Cabinet
Effective from: 07/04/2023