Agenda and draft minutes

modern.gov app available
View upcoming public committee documents on your iPad, Android Device or Blackberry Playbook with the free modern.gov app.

Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Chorley and YouTube

Contact: Nina Neisser  Email: nina.neisser@chorley.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

126.

Appointment of Chair for the Meeting

Minutes:

Decision – That Councillor Alistair Bradley be appointed as Chair for the meeting.

127.

Welcome by Chair and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

128.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies of absence were received from Councillors David Borrow (Preston City Council) and County Councillors Charles Edwards and Matthew Maxwell-Scott.

129.

Minutes of meeting Monday, 25 January 2021 of Central Lancashire Strategic Planning Joint Advisory Committee pdf icon PDF 209 KB

Minutes:

Decision: That the minutes of the meeting held on 25 January 2021 be confirmed as a correct record.

130.

Declarations of Interest

Members are reminded of their responsibility to declare any pecuniary interest in respect of matters contained in this agenda.

 

If you have a pecuniary interest you must withdraw from the meeting. Normally you

should leave the room before the business starts to be discussed. You do, however, have the same right to speak as a member of the public and may remain in the room to enable you to exercise that right and then leave immediately. In either case you must not seek to improperly influence a decision on the matter.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of any interests received.

131.

Local Plan Update pdf icon PDF 193 KB

Report of the Central Lancashire Local Plan Co-ordinator (enclosed).

 

Minutes:

Carolyn Williams, Central Lancashire Local Plan Co-Ordinator, presented the report which provided Members with an update on the progress of the development of the Central Lancashire Local Plan.

 

Officers were in the process of reviewing and updating the Local Development Scheme (LDS) and the next milestone for the Local Plan was the consultation on the Preferred Options Document. This was currently timetable for consultation commencing in June 2021, however delays in development of key aspects of the evidence base have meant this date was not achievable. The revised plan for delivery aimed for consultation on a Preferred Options document towards the end of 2021.

 

Members noted that the Queen’s speech indicated that changes to the planning system would start to come forward this year. A key change proposed through the White Paper for local plans was the introduction of three categories of land, Growth, Renewal and Protection. To ensure the Local Plan is compatible with any new system developed on adoption, officers suggested that work on these sites should be undertaken with this in mind.

 

Other issues detailed in the report related to the following;

·         Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA)

·         Housing Needs Study

·         Central Lancashire Density Study

·         Central Lancashire Transport Masterplan

·         Climate Change

·         Land Viability

·         Integrated Assessment (IA) and Habitat Regulation Assessment (HRA)

 

Following queries with regards to the housing needs study, Members were advised a number of partner agencies such as housing associations and homelessness charities have been engaged with the survey. Consultants would also look at housing registers for data. It was suggested that the comprehensive list of all those stakeholders who have been included in the process could be circulated with Members to help identify any which were absent from the list.

 

Decision – That the report be noted.

 

132.

Planning Reform Update pdf icon PDF 210 KB

Report of the Director of Planning and Development (enclosed).

Minutes:

Zoe Whiteside, Service Lead for Spatial Planning (Chorley Council) presented the report which provided an update on the reforms to national planning policy.

 

The report outlined the key changes which included proposals requiring local authorities to zone land into Growth, Renewal and Protection categories, ending the use of Section 106 agreements (and replacing with national infrastructure levy), the creation of new and more simple local plans, a fast track system for ‘beautiful buildings’, requirement for all new build homes being ‘zero carbon ready’ and the introduction of Design Codes.

 

Members noted that the Queen’s speech on 11 May 2021 outlined plans for the forthcoming Planning Bill which aimed to create a simpler, faster and more modern planning system. The purpose, main benefits and main elements of the Bill were outlined in the report as well as providing a series of key facts. In light of this, officers were working to ‘future-proof’ the emerging Local Plan to ensure that no work is abortive and ensure that the plan can progress smoothly.

 

Members also noted that binding environmental targets within the Environment Bill will also impact on planning policy, with the mandating of ‘biodiversity net gain’ (BNG) to the value of now less than 10% and developers required to produce a BNG plan for their proposals and Councils will be required to maintain a Biodiversity gain register. It was proposed that a session be held for JAC members at a future meeting on the details of the BNG.

 

The Committee welcomed the BNG but queried whether the three authorities have the capacity to ensure this takes place. In terms of resourcing, this would be a statutory requirement and therefore the council’s would be expected to make arrangements. With regards to the Local Plan officers were already engaged at a Lancashire level and meeting regularly to look at Local Nature Recovery Strategies and ensuring the land is available within Lancashire to meet the BNG targets.

 

Following queries regarding the percentage split of the Affordable Housing, Members were advised that there was local discretion on this through the core strategy, and as long as minimum of 25% first homes is adhered to, the remainder of the split (shared ownership/social rent) is down local authority discretion and local policy.

 

Decision – That the report be noted.

133.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider the exclusion of the press and public for the following items of

business on the ground that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972.

 

By Virtue of Paragraph 3: Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information)

Condition:

Information is not exempt if it is required to be registered under- The Companies Act 1985

The Friendly Societies Act 1974 The Friendly Societies Act 1992

The Industrial and Provident Societies Acts 1965 to 1978

The Building Societies Act 1986 (recorded in the public file of any building society, within the meaning of the Act)

The Charities Act 1993

Information is exempt to the extent that, in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

Information is not exempt if it relates to proposed development for which the local planning authority may grant itself planning permission pursuant to Regulation 3 of the Town & Country Planning General Regulations 1992(a).

Minutes:

Decision: To exclude the press and public for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 Schedule 12a of the Local Government Act 1972.

134.

Land Availability Study Methodology and Approach

Land Use Consultants will deliver a presentation at the meeting.

Minutes:

Richard Swann from Land Use Consultants (LUC), provided Members with a confidential presentation on the Assessment of Open Land Designations.

 

The presentation outlined the objectives, green belt and safeguarded land, areas of separation, other open land and the next steps.

 

Decision – That the presentation be noted.

135.

Dates of Future Meetings

To note that next meeting of the Joint Advisory Committee is to be held at South Ribble on Tuesday, 14 September at 6:30pm.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Joint Advisory Committee will be hosted by South Ribble Borough Council on Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 6.30pm.