Agenda and minutes

modern.gov app available
View upcoming public committee documents on your iPad, Android Device or Blackberry Playbook with the free modern.gov app.

Venue: Wheel Room, Civic Centre, South Ribble

Contact: Sarah Ashcroft 

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introduction/Apologies

The Chair to welcome members to the meeting and note any apologies

Proposal: Information

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and invited attendees to introduce themselves, apologies were noted as above.

Actions: Chair

2.

Elect Chair and Deputy Chair

Board members are asked to re-elect the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Board

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

The Chair asked if anyone would like to nominate a new Chair and/or Deputy Chair.

 

It was agreed that members were happy for Rebecca to keep the role as Chair.


As Fiona was absent from the meeting Rebecca will contact her to confirm she is happy to remain as Deputy Chair.

Actions: Chair

3.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 235 KB

The Board to note the minutes of the meeting 10th December 2015 and agree any further action on matters arising.

Proposal: Action

Minutes:

The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting held on 10 December as a correct record.  Information had been received from previous actions.

 

The Chair mentioned that since the Ofsted Inspection of Children’s Services an Improvement Board has been set up.  An Improvement Plan has been submitted recently also summaries from the monthly meetings can be both be found at the following link http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/council/performance-inspections-reviews/children-education-and-families/childrens-services-improvement-board.aspx

 

Debra Wilson attended the Children’s Service Scrutiny Committee as representative of the Board.  Debra explained that it was more of an introduction meeting and they will next meet in April.

 

The Committee is looking at two areas:

-               Children who offend

-               Children with special needs and disabilities

 

Debra explained that the Committee is there to scrutinise and that all the work will not been around the Ofsted Inspection.  They will look at areas where we are ‘good’ and concentrate on staying at good.

 

Debra will provide an update at the next Board meeting.

Actions: Chair

4.

Safeguarding

Child Sexual Exploitation - Update re CSE Sub-Group

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

Karl advised that the CSE sub-group had not met recently, the train the trainer programme has been initiated.

 

Karl will contact Alison Hatton for an update.

 

Debra Wilson mentioned that the e-learning for Safeguarding levels 1 and 2 was to be tested by the Scrutiny Committee as it has been revised.

 

The Chair mentioned that the Government is seeking views on proposals to amend the statutory definition of child sexual exploitation.  A sheet was passed round showing the current definition and proposed definition.  The Chair asked everyone to read over the document with a view to submitting a joint response.  The Chair asked for people’s views and if we were happy with the new wording.  It was agreed that the Board were happy with the changes as it simplifies the definition and doesn’t need as much information as the previous definition.  The Chair agreed that a response would be submitted later that day.  A copy of this is attached to the minutes.

 

Karl advised that the LSCB is going through a change of structure hence the reason why there was no representation at the meeting.  A new Business Manager and 3 Business Co-ordinators have been appointed.  Karl advised that the Business Manager is looking to attend our next meeting.  Sarah Ashcroft to invite.

 

Karl explained that the Police had previously been the administering group for the Pan Lancashire CSE Strategy and this has now been moved to the LSCB, the action plan for this is being finalised.

 

It is hoped that an update from the LSCB will be available at the next meeting in June.

Actions: Karl Turner, Children's Trust Development Officer, LCC

5.

VCFS Update

The Board to receive a presentation ‘Beginning with the end in mind’, a relaunch of South Ribble’s VCFS Network

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

Roz-Catlow Patterson attended the meeting.  Roz explained that she was working in the South Ribble Partnership team.  She explained that they had held 2 events this year involving the private and voluntary sector with another event planned for August.  Roz explained that they’d launched a new website, and were encouraging information to be shared with the voluntary sector and also develop specialised training.

Actions: Roz Catlow-Patterson, South Ribble

6.

Wellbeing, Prevention and Early Help pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Update on next phase of Working Together with Families/Troubled Families

 

Prevention and Early Help Core Offer

 

Consultation, Children’s Partnership Boards response

Proposal: Information

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair explained that there was no update on Working Together with Families.  Debbie Duffell or Charlotte Ennis would attend our next Board meeting.  Sarah to organise.

 

Stephanie mentioned that the consultation is now underway, she reiterated that the deadline is Monday 21 March and that a response should be submitted from the board as well as individual agencies.

 

The Chair advised that Chorley Council will be submitting a response and that she thought it important that a joint response should also be submitted.

 

Debra confirmed that Lancashire Care will be responding, Debra expressed some concern around losing universal care, her views are that early help is important and can prevent future problems.

 

Donna mentioned the conference which is being held on Thursday 17 March.  The conference will cover Infant Mortality and Domestic Abuse as well as looking at the role of health visitors and peoples mind sets.

 

Stephanie explained that the consultation is the first phase and then it is the property review which is looking at reducing by approximately 50% this will affect children’s centres and youth centres etc.  Once the consultation is completed a new proposal should be issued alongside the property review.

 

Debra explained that there are several consultations running together including the review of school nurses and health visiting.

 

The Chair asked if Debra could share the link for the consultation, Debra to check.

 

It was agreed that everyone had similar concerns and that a collective response should be submitted.

 

An email to be sent to members asking for comments.  A joint response then to be submitted pulling together all comments received.  Sarah to send

 

Stephanie advised that Lili Rushton has now left and that Laura Richardson is the new Prevention and Early Help Coordinator for Chorley, South Ribble and West Lancashire.  Laura to be invited to the next meeting. 

 

Stephanie supplied the Early Help update for each district.  Any specific questions need to be directed to Laura.

 

Stephanie advised that in December 2015 one of the consortium providers of the Family Support early support commission went into administration affecting delivery in a number of districts, including West Lancs. The consortium have now secured an alternative provider who has picked up this work for the remainder of the financial year.  Also the Parenting commission came to an end on 31st January 2016 and is not being recommissioned.

 

The Troubled Families Unit is on target for the end of March, we should be able to get information per district from this.

 

 

Actions: Chair

7.

Young People Participation Proposals

A discussion around current engagement and events taking place that we could possibly lead into to take place.

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

The Chair mentioned that we were looking for opportunities to engage with young people possibly with an event that is already taking place.  The Chair explained that previously we seem to have struggled finding something for all 3 districts to take part in.  The Chair mentioned that we would be looking to engage young people on the draft action plan.  Also Chorley Council hold an annual democracy event where schools are invited into the Town Hall to learn about the Council.  The Chair suggested that we have a table at this event which is usually Oct/Nov time.  A possible area to focus on would be crime, feelings of safety which is an area that has previously been highlighted as being important to young people.

 

John advised that West Lancashire Council also hold something similar and it may be an idea to have an event in each district rather than holding one across all 3 districts.

 

Mark agreed and advised that South Ribble Council hold mock Council meetings and also go in to local schools to talk about issues like litter, waste etc.

 

John asked about the pupil attitude survey and said that in previous years lots of data has come from these.  Karl advised that these do still take place although the schools now pay for it and therefore we are unable to get individual school data.  Karl thought that fewer schools had taken part than in previous years.  John asked if it was possible to get the data, Karl to enquire.

 

Donna advised that they have an event with youth councils and we could do something through that.

 

The Chair advised that she will put a paper together with a couple of suggestions.

 

Donna will send details of their event.

 

The Chair explained that she had recently attended the Young People Elections for Chorley, South Ribble and West Lancs.  The Chair thought that we should invite a representative from each district to look over the draft action plan.  Also invite them to a future Board meeting to observe.

 

Cllr Jarnell agreed that this would be a good idea.

 

 

Actions: Chair

8.

Action Plan

Short update re Task and Finish Group’s earlier meeting

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

The Chair advised that the Task and Finish Group had met to look at the action plan.  The Group went through the existing action plan and what actions are still relevant as well as what we should add.

 

Some of the items were agreed not to be true actions and that these should be removed.

 

The following actions were agreed to be added on:

-       Awareness of Prevent Duty

-       Children’s Services Improvement Plan

-       I-Hop work – covers children whose parents are in prison

-       Working with families

 

The proposals, Karl/Sarah to:

-       Update action plan

-       Circulate to the Board

-       Engage with Youth Parliament for feedback, suggestions

-       Final draft at June meeting

Actions: Chair

9.

Any other business

Proposal: Discuss

Minutes:

Reminder about the invitation for the Infant Mortality and Domestic Abuse conference being held on Thursday 17 March

Actions: Chair

10.

Future CPB meeting dates

Thursday 9th June – 2pm, Tan House Community Enterprise, Ennerdale, Tanhouse, Skelmersdale, WN8 6AN

 

September TBA – To be held at Chorley

Minutes:

Thursday 9th June 2.00pm – 4.00pm, Tan House Community Enterprise, Ennerdale, Tanhouse, Skelmersdale, WN8 6AN

 

September TBA – to be held in Chorley